No
17%

Total votes: 231
Antony OLBG
Stallion
Tips

Editing Tips

Postby Antony OLBG » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:17 pm

Our policy currently is not to allow people to edit their tips, and unfortunately we cant manually edit tips for people if they email us before the off as we just dont have time to do that.

We basically run the tipster competition like a bookmaker site, where you also cant edit your selections!

Obviously with it being a free competition where we actually pay money out and with over 1000 active tipsters we have to try to keep costs down and have things very automated. That means I just cant manually edit tips – sure one or two would not be a problem, but it would no doubt snowball once word got out. Couple that with the fact that Id still not be able to man it 24hrs so some people would get them done and some not

Last year when the tipping system was more basic we used to have a facility for people to edit their own tips. This was needed then as the selection system was quite basic and the opportunities for error much greater than they are now. However it was very problematic as people started abusing the editing system in several ways.

1. Some tipsters concerned that people were copying their tips would initially make bogus ones and then change them before the start
2. Some tipsters would make big tips on the last few days of the month on events in the following month, and then in the next month edit down the stake to release cash into the new period. Many people complained about this.
3. People getting alerts were getting annoyed that they could get an alert for a tipsters tip, back it, and then find the tipster changed it later.

The current system while not ideal does stop these problems and as long as people are as careful with their tips as they are with their real bets, which nearly all are (or at least after their first mistake) then it works fine.

I have thought about having limited editing but I cant really see a solution. The only possible ones would be

1. To have a confirmation page after each tip
This obviously makes it take longer to make your tips and I expect most people would not read it properly but just click through anyway hence defeating the pupose

2. To allow editing for a short period after the tip is made (like 15 minutes). This might work, but I dont know what to do about the alerts as I dont want to send them and then send corrections later, at the same time I dont want to wait 15 minutes to send an alert when it might be too late

As Ive said above the best solution to me seems to be that people are careful with their tips like they are with their bookie bets, then it all works fine.

Any thoughts

EDIT
Ive added a poll "Do You want a confirmation page"
This would be an extra page after you click "submit" that would summarise the tip and ask you to click another button to "confirm"
Last edited by Antony OLBG on Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tankyman
At Stud
Tips

Postby tankyman » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:26 pm

At first I found it a bit annoying but that was because of inexperience of the site. A confirmation button would work in my opinion because my mate who is a bit thick is always backing horses that he means to lay. Im sure the reason that he does this is because he scrolls down with his mouse and when you do that sometimes it changes a drop down box. Anyway I agree that when a bets struck theres no reason why it should be changed. A bookmaker wouldnt do it so a site that endorses all thats good about racing and betting Im delighted you follow suit. Mistiming used to be a problem but thats been eradicated by the newer system.

All in all I think the site is a credit to you and runs smoothly...

Will8ace
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby Will8ace » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:24 pm

I think a confirmation page would be a benefit. Every now and again one makes a mistake and it invariably turns out to be a costly error.
Ordo ab Chao :-)

OlbgDeleted1557
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby OlbgDeleted1557 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:39 pm

confirmation page=good
editing page=bad

OlbgDeleted295
Stallion
Tips

Postby OlbgDeleted295 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:31 pm

Antony,

out of interest, how many customers actually use the tip alert feature?

with regards to the question, i guess a tip confirmaton would be good as most bookmakers also provide such a facility when you bet. But then again, i would imagine most tipsters would have double checked after getting used to the site.

SLong
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby SLong » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:17 pm

works well.
lost upto 500 at one go but thats my fault.

SLong

Antony OLBG
Stallion
Tips

Postby Antony OLBG » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:11 pm

Ive made a decision as you'll now see (hopefully it works)

There is now a tip confirmation page, but you can switch it off if you want from within Edit Profile off the MyTips page

Now I dont want another email asking me to change your tips OK :D :D

Antony OLBG
Stallion
Tips

Postby Antony OLBG » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:15 pm

Antony,
out of interest, how many customers actually use the tip alert feature?
hundreds :)

vindon
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby vindon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:55 pm

Yep Fantastic i've lost over £1000 each month by putting win instead of Lay.

Good Decision Anthony.

Cheers

Not sure who your thick mate is doing them mistakes Tank :roll:

tankyman
At Stud
Tips

Postby tankyman » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:56 am

No comment Mr Vindon...

Betfairalfie
Stallion
Tips

Postby Betfairalfie » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:41 pm

Nice one Anthony - great site.

Antony OLBG
Stallion
Tips

Postby Antony OLBG » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:22 am

Had several queries asking me to edit peoples tips recently - heres the relevant discussion