Tip Comment Guidelines For All Members - Please Read

tipstonga
Stallion
Tips

Re: Tip Comment Guidelines For All Members - Please Read

Postby tipstonga » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi Edinho you have reason about those under level tips, I have seen worst.
I agree with PompeyJim that a thorough control by OLBG is far from the possibilities of -a reasonable size- staff .

Said that, let me say that anyway it is misleading to consider comment rating as a solution.
0) the rating system has been proven not to produce that goal
a) The rating is unfair since the visibility of the tips is not equal for unavoidable reasons,
b) more over this absence of equilibrium produces the wrong feedback amplifying the chances of positive rating of those previously positively rated sinking the rest in oblivion.
c) positive or negative clicks can be set for motives that range from accident to friendship.
d) there are neither registered arguments for the rating nor a mechanism of defence for a negative rating. This allows selective cancelation of the Elites status by personal means just with a pair of unjustified clicks.
e) there is no clear path you can take to get positive ratings. As it is, it is just a matter of taste.

So , indeed, the rating system discourages more than enhances the will of making deep analysis in the tips , and even discourages the will of making comments in the tips at all.

In older days the minimum length of the tips was larger (40) this might improve the quality but surely will diminish the amount of tips with comments.
Recently I posted in the Ask an OLBG Moderator forum thread the suggestion that given the new requisite of 5 positive bets to accede to prizes the Elite conditions should get rid of the rating for a fair deal. No one posted against, hope OLBG is seriously considering it.
Some kind of "Qualitiy Committee" -like the "Ethics Committee" in hospitals or similar- might be envisioned, provided the "public judgement" of "reiterative offenders" takes place or is made public in the forum.

Hope this helps
good luck :win:

tipstonga
November >>> HR: #6 NAP #43 all ; Tennis: #23
Sometimes blogger, follow me @tipstonga

NoError
Triple Crown Winner
Tips

Postby NoError » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:31 am

In older days ...
In even older days, we used to have the Pros system, based on pure merit and hard cold results. Subjectivity of any kind never came into it. The Pros system also rewarded long-term consistency, because you needed good results over a period of six months just to qualify. The current system not only rewards, but also actively encourages flukes, as you can make any number of ridiculous high-odds tips every month - if some of them work out, you win a prize, and if they don't come off, you go again next month with no consequences. In the old days, a massive loss in one month would have disqualified you from Pro status for six months.

If I remember correctly, the Pros were abolished at the same time the comments became obligatory for winning the serious prizes. It was at that time that I've pretty much given up tipping here altogether. Prior to that, I'd won a Horse Racing Pro prize in 12 out of 21 consecutive months, but I tipped up to 20 horses every day, and it was simply impossible to write comments on so many tips, especially without some element of repetition. I had loads of followers at the time, who obviously didn't need any comments to see my tips were making sense (results were more than enough), and many have PMed me since to ask if I'd start tipping again, but I never did.

I don't mean this as sour grapes, as I've done well out of the site in the past, but in my view the competitions have been diluted, and comments haven't really helped in terms of quality control. As I said, I'd rather follow someone with a track record of consistently producing winning tips, than someone who regularly writes convincing comments on losing tips. In fact, if you look at pretty much any table for this month (comments or not), there'll be loads of tipsters in the running for big prizes having just a few positive months in the last twelve, and these are clearly not tipsters who anyone would want to follow, and even with the best of comments, they are winning prizes without adding much to the site. And, as has been mentioned by others above, in many cases the comments barely pass even the minimum of scrutiny.

Hope this helps. :)

Akhiljacks
2yo
Tips

Postby Akhiljacks » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:05 am

I apologise for what has happened. I want to try again with better comments

PompeyJim
At Stud
Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 am

I apologise for what has happened. I want to try again with better comments
Hi,

No problem, please use the contact form link below and reply with 2 football comment examples you would like to add tips.

https://www.olbg.com/contact
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant