How long have you been using OLBG -

steenie1
At Stud
Tips

Re: How long have you been using OLBG -

Postby steenie1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:19 am

I joined in the winter of 2015. Came across it after googling something like 'today's best tennis bets'. Living in Ireland, there's no chance of going to any racecourse get-togethers, but love the site. I was completely hooked after coming second in the football goals comp the very next month. As has been said, it's not so much about winning any money---though for me, any dosh that I do win is a guilt-free way of putting money into bookies accounts to squander on mad footie accas and useless golfers. It IS a thrill to come top in a comp. I do particularly like the on-going competitions with regular players where you have to give decent comments: the football one-a-day, the race of the day, and the player of the week in the golf. You get to recognise the names, and it's a good insight into other ways of reasoning.

Shrews
At Stud
Tips

Postby Shrews » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:11 pm

I've been a member since 2006, but couldn't get along with the forum layout and it all seemed a lot of hassle. Gave it another go in 2013 (think) probably at Cheltenham time when I have the week off to concentrate on the Festival and eventually got used to how to use it.

People don't contribute anywhere near as much as they used to, but as said above, that's happening all over internet land.

There have been (and still are) lots of knowledgeable tipsters out there who contribute from time to time but also lots of excellent tipsters who don't. There are many that come who do well for a while and then disappear, many who contribute for a while and disappear. I think the main point for everyone to remember is that we are all amateurs (other than the odd one or two) and winning consistently over long periods is mighty difficult.

It's a bit like finding a magic formula x + y = £, and if you find that, then it's only stake money, bottle and access to a bookmaker that prevents you becoming a millionaire. Trouble is, that magic formula is nigh on impossible to find unless you're prepared to treat it as a professional vocation. Just like learning to play guitar or learning another language, it needs practice, practice, practice and more practice and in my opinion is the most difficult of any skill to perfect.

So, whilst it's nice when lots of people contribute, it's understandable when they don't. Success is hard to come by and more often than not (%wise) even the Pro's are wrong in their opinions. It's hard to contribute constantly when you feel like you're kicking yourself in the teeth and making a plonker of yourself. It's also not enjoyable thinking that others may be spending their hard-earned on something you might write, which is basically an amateur's opinion. So, it's not hard to see why people don't bother.

davidg3907
Stallion
Tips

Postby davidg3907 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 am

I have been a member for a shade over 9 years. Unsurprisingly, now retired, I seem to have less free time than before. I didn't believe this in the past but when working, you tend not to take on pastimes or projects that take up chunks of the day as there may not be time to fulfil them. That changes when you reach 'old age' and have time to put an effort into pastimes that could not be fitted in before. The days don't become any longer so something has to give.

As the usage of the forum has declined, so will peoples' input. After all, a decent post may take more time to write than the combined total reading time of all those that read it. I am not talking about my diatribes here but the posts of many far more knowledgeable than myself.

The advent of a myriad of 'social' competitions and challenges has made the site different. That in itself is not a bad thing as change is always necessary to keep up with what people want or expect. One issue I have now is that the more serious/mainstream posts/threads can get missed within that myriad if away from the computer for any length of time. Maybe a way could be devised to keep such challenges separate without it either incurring costs or splitting the site; maybe it wouldn't help anyway. :D

Even this thread has only been stumbled on by chance.
LAYING Taking it further
LAYING Delving deeper - NEW

FOOTBALL blogs under Blogs/Football
New RELEGATION diary in Blogs/systems

rockabilly kat
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby rockabilly kat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 am

I have been on here since 2013 and I love the challenge of trying to pick winners and top a league or two .The site help me over come my addiction on betting every day on any sport I now tip on any sport every day lol and keep my money in my pocket and bet manly at weekends on top quality racing and other top events through the year . Like many others have said this is a great site friendly people that will help you if you have a problem and some great tipsters

The Snail
At Stud
Tips

Postby The Snail » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 am

I have been a member for a shade over 9 years. Unsurprisingly, now retired, I seem to have less free time than before. I didn't believe this in the past but when working, you tend not to take on pastimes or projects that take up chunks of the day as there may not be time to fulfil them. That changes when you reach 'old age' and have time to put an effort into pastimes that could not be fitted in before. The days don't become any longer so something has to give.

As the usage of the forum has declined, so will peoples' input. After all, a decent post may take more time to write than the combined total reading time of all those that read it. I am not talking about my diatribes here but the posts of many far more knowledgeable than myself.

The advent of a myriad of 'social' competitions and challenges has made the site different. That in itself is not a bad thing as change is always necessary to keep up with what people want or expect. One issue I have now is that the more serious/mainstream posts/threads can get missed within that myriad if away from the computer for any length of time. Maybe a way could be devised to keep such challenges separate without it either incurring costs or splitting the site; maybe it wouldn't help anyway. :D

Even this thread has only been stumbled on by chance.
That's an interesting point David, as the exact opposite was raised in the thread of one of the challenges - that the first fixture was missed because it didn't show on the new posts section! I guess its a balancing act between encouraging as many people as possible to join in things like the daily football and racing comps, and the weekly comps such as the greyhound league, but also trying to keep posts such as this and general forum chat in people's eyeline to encourage discussion!

davidg3907
Stallion
Tips

Postby davidg3907 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:37 am

The snail,

It did show on the new posts page, but at busy times it would soon disappear from the viewed part (without scrolling). Everyone should subscribe to getting notifications of threads on which they have posted, but in this case, those that didn't need to enter manually would receive no such notification.

The point is that even Dan's post may have got lost on the general new posts page rather than being on a specific 'competitions' page.

It could be solved by :-
If looking for comps, look on comps page.
If looking for non-comps, look on a non-comps page.

If people don't log in, they won't find it wherever it is!

In the good old days, if anyone wanted to look at a certain picture in the Sun, they could open the paper at page 3 and find what they wanted without searching 63 other pages. :wink:

This is getting a bit off topic, but maybe admin could take a look at the viability or otherwise.
LAYING Taking it further
LAYING Delving deeper - NEW

FOOTBALL blogs under Blogs/Football
New RELEGATION diary in Blogs/systems

Micko70
Stallion
Tips

Postby Micko70 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:09 pm

The snail,

It did show on the new posts page, but at busy times it would soon disappear from the viewed part (without scrolling). Everyone should subscribe to getting notifications of threads on which they have posted, but in this case, those that didn't need to enter manually would receive no such notification.

The point is that even Dan's post may have got lost on the general new posts page rather than being on a specific 'competitions' page.

In the good old days, if anyone wanted to look at a certain picture in the Sun, they could open the paper at page 3 and find what they wanted without searching 63 other pages. :wink:

This is getting a bit off topic, but maybe admin could take a look at the viability or otherwise.
Good idea, makes things easier to find

Grobler
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Grobler » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Many years...too many to count.
There was once a West Ham fan who offered two tickets at face value(I want to say it was West Ham v Boro...final game of a season)...I said "yes please..." , and the guy sent them , arriving within 24 hours , and obviously WAYYY before Ive gotten around to sending him the cash . Any ideas who that top OLBG bloke was ? Dunno if that sort of Camaradarie still exists ?
C'mon you Irons......

The Snail
At Stud
Tips

Postby The Snail » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 pm

There was once a West Ham fan who offered two tickets at face value(I want to say it was West Ham v Boro...final game of a season)...I said "yes please..." , and the guy sent them , arriving within 24 hours , and obviously WAYYY before Ive gotten around to sending him the cash . Any ideas who that top OLBG bloke was ? Dunno if that sort of Camaradarie still exists ?
I remember that match, you were robbed paying face value (and I'm a Hammer!)
The snail,

I agree too if you're looking for some extra weight towards change! Nice suggestions David!

man o bong
Legend
Tips

Postby man o bong » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Wow, now that has got me thinking, Hammers fan from back in the day

This could be a comp all on its own- Get yer thinking caps on old timers!!
When you're told you can't do something, do it and prove them wrong

The Snail
At Stud
Tips

Postby The Snail » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Another addition to the debate on the drying up on discussions on the forums....my work have now decided OLBG doesnt make it past the office firewalls anymore! I primarily went on the site before i started work, during lunch and sometimes even before i head home so my forum time has been cut by 5-10 hours a week :lose:

We don't really have phones out as I work in a data sensitive industry and therefore my reduced forum time will largely be taken up with the comps which is a real shame. i don't imagine my company are alone in the heightened security measures but just another cause of the quieter forums which is beyond the OLBG powers to resolve unfortunately :no:

The Shark
Stallion
Tips

Postby The Shark » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Great to hear some stories of how people found OLBG and how we have been enjoying it over the years.

Pretty sure I was just searching for a tipster competition and found it even before the forum was up and running. A little easier to win back then!

If anyone wants to see how early they were, click on your profile link - i.e. the name on the left of your last forum post and then at the end of the url there is a number

Grobler was no 280 for example!

Our newest member is number 494,643