Changes to prize tables

steenie1
At Stud
Tips

Re: Changes to prize tables

Postby steenie1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 am

Re comments about joining other olbg sites. No embarrassment about doing so on my part. I’m ‘grindergirl’ on the Irish olbg site. I’m originally from the UK and joined this site first, but I’ve lived in Ireland for years now. I once suggested on here that it would be nice if there could be a race meet-up sometime for olbg members who lived in Ireland. Can’t remember which mod/admin it was, but he said I should join the Irish site---which hadn’t been up and running for very long--- and mention it there. There’s an ‘introduce yourself’ thread on the Irish site, and I wrote that I’d arrived via the main olbg site and was steenie on here. So I wasn’t hiding anything.
It’s not all take either. I did a stint running the Irish naps forum challenge until the spreadsheets almost sent my brain into meltdown, and I’ve offered myself up to do the footie One-A-Day on here next month. And as my tips on Irish racing are far more miss than hit, I’m hardly depriving anyone of prizes in that comp either. I mostly do OK with Gaelic football and hurling (8 months in profit in the last 12 months in both---and I make comments), but those sports aren’t offered on this main site. If I didn’t live in Ireland and know something about them, I very much doubt if my strike rate would be as high.
Which comes back to why comments/tips about local sports on local sites may offer more value to punters who are actually trying to beat the bookies and win bets for real. I don’t think it’s ‘whinging’ to believe that there’s more to UK soccer than the Premiership---or to think it’s bizarre that Derby County/Leeds/Wolves etc have been consigned to the same Other Football bin as Poli Timisoara and other eastern European teams whose names I probably can’t pronounce correctly. Yes, just for the craic, I’ll have a go at the dreaded esports and the American horse-racing when it arrives, but I’d much rather have the Asian handicap. If members don’t tell olbg how we feel about the changes, they’ll never know.

Valverde
Handicapper
Tips

Postby Valverde » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 am

Titan..... the site DON'T want to start charging, I merely suggested a yearly membership fee would give the opportunity of bigger and more frequent competitions and prizes,, there appears to be too many members in my opinion that are using the site just for the chance to win some free money - without ( again in my opinion ) giving little to nothing back to the site and it's other members in return. I for one would not object to an introduction of a £25 membership - others may not agree, but too many seem to want something for nothing and that cannot be good for the long term success of what is a fantastic sports community.
In my opinion better idea is extending numer of words that needs to be in analysis. Those 20 words are way too easy to be done, maybe 100 words will discourage those cash hunters, while on the other side level of analysis will improve. Also rising numer of picks that are need to be taken in a month is a right direction.

dartinggreyhound
Group 1 Class
Tips

Postby dartinggreyhound » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:15 am

In my opinion better idea is extending numer of words that needs to be in analysis. Those 20 words are way too easy to be done, maybe 100 words will discourage those cash hunters, while on the other side level of analysis will improve. Also rising numer of picks that are need to be taken in a month is a right direction.
100 Words will see many members not bother to write at how much time do think people have?? Just my opinion that's all and would that be just in Horse racing or across the board? I am a regular greyhound tipster and to write 100 words on a greyhound race would be very very difficult.

danbradley
At Stud
Tips

Postby danbradley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:35 am

100 Words will see many members not bother to write at how much time do think people have?? Just my opinion that's all and would that be just in Horse racing or across the board? I am a regular greyhound tipster and to write 100 words on a greyhound race would be very very difficult.
Perhaps the solution is somewhere in the middle, as like Valverde says, 20 words is far too easy to do and with the sheer volume of tips not all of the dodgy drivel gets picked up by mods, while other tips are very borderline acceptable. Something like 50/60 words, like you require on the football one-a-day comp, should be reasonable, but even raising it to 30/40 would do something.

Follow me on Twitter: @DanBradleyTips

titans choice
At Stud
Tips

Postby titans choice » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm

I do apologise it was more of a question when i said the site want to charge to take part i just forgot the question mark.

roodeye
Handicapper
Tips

Postby roodeye » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Going back to words i got warned for doing more than 200 for a write up on a Horse

botev1921
Stallion
Tips

Postby botev1921 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:30 am

Where do you keep plucking the sum of £25 from? Why not £180 or £5?

OLBG is a free site and advertises itself as such.

If we want to go down the charging route then why not start charging non competing members for access to tips?

I can answer that one....because 99.9% of tips are trying to win the cash tables.

There was a reason Leicester was 14/1 to beat Man City away at the weekend, namely Man City have won 13 from 14 at home this season with 50 for and 10 against, Leicester have won 3 away games this season. Man City are top with 1 defeat from 27, Leicester are 8th.

Yet scores of members wrote up Leicester to win....because there is £200 for topping the premier comments table!

With such classics as" Leicester play some good game last times against Man City and win 2 times in last 7 and Man City are could be very tired as they have play many cup and footballs so choose Leicester to victory as big values"

great stuff!

ps if you are not winning cash prizes on OLBG.COM then why not try OLBG IRELAND or OLBG AUSTRALIA where there is numerous cash prizes to be won with very few members to compete against, therefore putting the odds in your favour as some OLBG.COM members have found already.
As the biggest winner on OLBG I second that - of course everybody is trying to win the prizes and while in the beginning I was trying to put a ton of effort into research I realised you get a bunch of people who always get lucky with a 20/1, 50/1 or whatever and the entire competition turns into who will be luckier. I have bought football equipment for 150 children out of those OLBG cash prizes and I have reasoned some big odds winners by taking a different angle that could be misleading, but I also back every big odds selection with cash - it might be 5 quid, but I go for it so I don't kick myself for not putting my money where my mouth is. Should I feel guilty for taking 100 quid OLBG prize when I took another 500 out of a 100/1 selection just because somebody did not see what I saw as a risk worth taking? The way to go remains "...when in Rome..." - simple as that. I remember a member writing after I hit an 80/1 racing selection thanking me because his 70 year old father saw reason in my tip and won a thousand quid or something...was I taking an angle there, sure, but creativity is part of the entire art of sports betting. Nobody wins out of backing favourites all the time.

But the only reason people have problems with big odds and ridiculous reasoning on here is because it is not you getting it right. Should I apologise for getting Newcastle to beat United at 6/1 right (won 120 quid out of it) or losing out on Chelsea (lost a tenner there) just because someone else is bitter they did not back that United selection? Of course you would lay Chelsea on the back of their form and how they are playing. The only true solution is to impose rules on the quality of reasoning and actually care to cut the true crap, nothing more. Some of the comments are plain idiotic, written in terrible English and making no sense at all. 20 words, 50 words...forget it, you are giving away real cash, make it 200 words and whoever feels they are up for the task to actually work for the prize money will stay on and put the effort into it, adding quality to the community as well. In that context, some comments might be idiotic but they are actually correct - have seen it in the tennis competitions - "player A has won two of last four games and player B has lost last game" - all spot on for the purpose of that 12/1 selection, who cares that player A has won those two games of four but also those two are the only wins in seven months and player B has lost the last one but has won a title the week before? Is that not correct statistical reasoning?

Hope this did not turn too long. I would say the entire OLBG team need to figure out where they want the community to go and where the emphasis has to be. I see no logic in removing the AH competition in favour of correct scores where whatever comments you wirte are just stab in the dark. Increasing the number of tips required is one good move, but why not make them 30 for those competitions where you can actually accumulate that many? I got a remark on one of my racing tips being too general few months back when there are comments that basically sound like lines from the "Mind Your Language" comedy from the 70s. I must say that hurt me given how much effort I have put into this community over the years. You ask why am I not putting the same effort anymore or why am I not posting blogs here but somewhere else now...people do things because they want recognition and/or fair reward for their efforts and there comes the time when you just feel somebody is taking advantage of you, so you either try to compensate for yourself or give up on whatever you are doing. OLBG has changed my life and I will always be thankful...hallelujah! :)
==BULGARIAN SPORTS PORTAL==
www.AlPortAl.net

meoldmate
Legend
Tips

Postby meoldmate » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 am

botev1921 what you have placed over is very sound and true.

I agree with you on most things and I will say this, I think your blogs are the best around and you left me for dead, that is for sure and with other members just copying and pasting from last years set up with horse racing and adding this years, was nothing special.
I was surprised to see you go, as I thought you were a major player for OLBG and blogging, as when the format changed, I thought you would of been one of the major contributions towards better blogs.

Good luck with your interest else where, hopefully OLBG see away of keeping you here.
OLBG Moderator

Jack1712
Handicapper
Tips

Postby Jack1712 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Only been on here for 5 months and I wasn't even aware that there were prizes when I first joined and started posting tips, so that isn't the only reason people are here despite what has been said.

Anyway, I am just here to comment on the football tables which are currently absurd. The Other Football table is ridiculous, encompassing everything from Brazilian Serie C to the FA Cup. The first 3 prizes of £200, £100 and £50 seem excessive when it is seemingly too expensive to run other popular competitions such as 'Asian Handicap' and even an 'English Football League' competition seems fairer. I would personally prefer to have more competitions with smaller prizes, just to keep things exciting throughout the month. I find it bizarre that the only surviving competitions are the Correct Score and First Goalscorer, which are two of the markets involving the most luck and the least skill of all the football markets.

As an aside, one thing I have noticed in the short time I have been posting here is the standard of some of the tips are dubious to say the least. See the below tips for Chelsea tonight:
I expect Hull City's run in the FA Cup will end tonight as they face mighty Chelsea, who, with home advantage should prove too strong for a side whose recent Championship form is poor leaving them one place off the relegation zone. Home win.
Chelsea did draw with norwich at home in their last fa cup round game. Hull are not as good as norwich but they definitely are no pushovers. Chelsea will be fielding some reserves which makes the draw at odds 7.5 good value.
WHETHER cHELSEA MISFIRE OR NOT THEY SHOULD HAVE TOO MUCH CLASS FOR A DOGGED HULL CITY TEAM. HOWEVER THE CHANCES OF THEM GETTING A CONSOLATION GOAL LOOK GOOD
Some of the people who post such poor quality justifications show good profits so they obviously have the knowledge and ability, it is just sheer laziness.

Anyway, love the website, and I have picked up £30 that I wouldn't have had otherwise which has paid for my train and ticket to the football tomorrow, so it's not all bad!

InsideMan
Stallion
Tips

Postby InsideMan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Pretty disappointing.

Tennis prizes have been cut a lot.
Cuts on Horse racing and football.
Also lots of free bets cut all over the shop.

It's still a great site but I never expected this to happen

InsideMan
Stallion
Tips

Postby InsideMan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Although keeping the competitions like Cheltenham Festival 1000 pounds, Aintree 200 pounds is a good move

The Shark
Stallion
Tips

Postby The Shark » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks for all your feedback.

We have decided to bring back the Asian Handicap competition at £100/month

Also we will add in an English 1x2 (Non premier league) with a £200/month prize pool.

These will be up and running for March onwards