World Cup Comments

meoldmate
Legend
Tips

Re: £1000 World Cup 2022 Tipping Competition

Postby meoldmate » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:25 pm

dacris69 One big price blows the entertainment right out of the water and competition comes to a free for all to try and find a 33/1 upward to achieve a position of great reward which is not the spirit of OLBG. The spirit of OLBG is to keep a level playing field for to put in positive reasoning results, that look a positive angle to place a bet on, not to try and bet on something that will be a shock of a price.

To put a £50 bet on something of massive odds, either you are rich or trying your luck or emptying your pockets rather quickly. Which then makes you the bookies best pal.
Bet within your means, safer gambling, £50 at 33/1 is dangerous never mind even money.
That what members are trying to put over when tipping, this is a dangerous situation, play safe.

Just to clarify, I do back big odds but with small stakes, if the reasoning is solid enough to figure with then my 10p, 20p is worth a chance, I did play when Germany beat Brazil 7-1 back in 2014 and I manage to get 50p at 100/1 for 7-1 in play, nothing that was going to break me.

I know this is a competition but justifying all things betting with World Cup opens the door to big prices appearing to be selected with reasoning beyond belief at times.

I love to win this competition and any other to go along with it, like to think, I won it fair and square without putting a pin in the correct score or selecting every goalkeeper to score the first goal or Argentina to win the first half with Saudi Arabia to win the second half at 150/1.
OLBG Moderator

meoldmate
Legend
Tips

Postby meoldmate » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:19 pm

Top twenty of the Euros comp, just showed how close and good fun that was
feri1944 78.78 - 2 cadillac06 51.92
3 zephyr 51.86 - 4 lufc888 47.54
5 lankylad 43.88 - 6 punziconia 42.38
7 Afternoon 31.76 - 8 Firecracker 30.68
9 olasco112 25.62 - 10 Seymour Winners 24.23
11 fdavidfbe 23.30 - 12 nanualex 21.10
13 Kazeka1886 16.74 - 14 Imaginarium 15.6
15 Hiljaduruza 15.54 - 16 CanYouBeatMe 14.56
17 themont1983 14.38 - 18 fibicon123 13.68
19 Robbie Box 13.38 - 20 perohabe1 13.34

with Pompeyjim highlighting

Excluded Euro 2020 Match Markets
Tips placed on the following markets WILL NOT COUNT in the Euro 2020 Tipster Table:

- Half Time Correct Score
- Full Time Correct Score
- Double Result (HT/FT)
The same should apply to this competition too plus goalscorers.
This is a result of previous big event football competitions on OLBG
OLBG Moderator

Dave1962
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Dave1962 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:53 pm

Hi.

I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that a recent football tournament excluded correct scores etc.

That was the reason why I was querying what markets would qualify in this comp.

Many thanks meoldmate for highlighting this.

Strange that this is comp appears to be allowing the ‘lucky pin’ approach.

Anyway it is what it is

Dave

meoldmate
Legend
Tips

Postby meoldmate » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:33 pm

Still time to change the rules Dave, as you mention whatever will be will be. 250/1 for first game will be great, certainly have 25p on this, be a good pay off

Good luck and have a great world cup, being retired will not miss a game, plus told the wife no baby sitting for our son LOL
OLBG Moderator

PompeyJim
At Stud
Tips

Re: World Cup Comments

Postby PompeyJim » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:31 pm

Hi All,

We thought we’d clarify why “ALL Markets” are included in the World Cup competition. Having reviewed the feedback from the Euro 2020 competition the conclusion was it made no difference in removing the HT/FT, HT Correct Score & FT Correct Score markets for the Euro 2020 Competition as we still had a runaway winner with a healthy lead early on.

As meoldmate commented on the Euro 2020 Competition thread (15/6/21) “Competition practically over, one player clear with write ups on big results, good for him and sound reasoning for a change on all selections he has got right. Feri1944 79points take some pegging back.”

In hindsight meoldmate was correct as the leader was never caught and held a near 27 point margin of victory at the end of the competition, so not close at all.

The issue with removing the mentioned markets and the First Goal Scorer which has also been mentioned is that when large odds tips are successful and a big lead is established the tipsters “chasing” the leader now have limited opportunities to close the gap.

We know full well that a % of tipsters will be targeting Iran @ 11/1, Saudi Arabia @ 20/1, Australia @ 11/1, Costa Rica @ 25/1 just in those early first round games and if any of those hit you have less options to try and close the gap if those four markets are removed.

These extra big event competitions OLBG run in addition to the £6500+ paid out each month in the regular comps are designed to be fun (for tipsters) and informative (for the olbg community).

Best of luck in the WC.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

Dave1962
Classic Winner
Tips

Postby Dave1962 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:16 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. Always good to know the reasoning behind some of the decisions that are made.

Dave

meoldmate
Legend
Tips

Postby meoldmate » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:49 pm

These extra big event competitions OLBG run in addition to the £6500+ paid out each month in the regular comps are designed to be fun (for tipsters) and informative (for the olbg community).
Could not agree more

1 feri1944 78.78 - 2 cadillac06 51.92

At least twenty seven point gap is plausible to try and close on but 250pt gap is a lot to engage with.
This is what can turn a comp into a one sided affair, especially with the group stages, after this becomes harder, if leading with a big result, would be over the moon as same as any other member, cannot be caught.

Never mind, cheers PompeyJim for putting over the views of keeping these markets in.
OLBG Moderator

meoldmate
Legend
Tips

Postby meoldmate » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:13 pm

Two days to go to the first opening match, looking forward to this.

I have just viewed many tips for the opening game and members reasoning has been good reading and worthy of the YES vote from me with just a couple of No's.

All the best to all, hope to be within touching distance of the top ten, more like being the strongest member on show holding all up :D :D :D
OLBG Moderator

darkhour
Group 3 Class
Tips

Postby darkhour » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:31 pm

So we did a step back from euro 2020... with bigger prizes it's obvious that many people will try some improbable bet. In the last competition (I still remember) only a single good tip on "first goalscorer" market in the very first games of the tournament pratically ended the competition. Only few markets should be available (AH, under, Clean sheet, BTTS yes/no, Full time result), no big odds should be included.
Just looking on the other tables: a good example in the last 1x2 competition in october. 119 tips/25 wins/+36.5 LSP with a massive +130 LSP with only 25 winning bets. Or in the rugby competition, with a massive numbers of people choosing the draw at 26 at the end of the month).
Choosing each time the highest odds in the market in a certain way force people to choose impossible bets too (so i will try for each game the 4-4 i.e.... I will save so much time picking in a systematic manner big numbers).
This competition will be plagued with ht/ft at 32, strange final results and so on.
I have already wrote somethings about this issue in the past: each users should have only limited numbers of high valued bets (I don't know, only 5 for events with the odds over 5) so you will be still able to try an improbable intuition but these should be choosen carefully.
Well only my 2 cents, sorry if I bothered you too much :oops:

Good luck to you all anyway!

PompeyJim
At Stud
Tips

Postby PompeyJim » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:08 pm

Hi darkhour,

Appreciate your post and opinion, as explained on our previous reply the conclusion was excluding those markets from the Euro comp made no difference. If we just restricted to minimal markets that had a few high odds opportunities we would still get a certain % of tipsters still target the underdog at huge odds and by restricting the available markets it limits the opportunities for chasing tipsters to close the gap.

Again as mentioned in our previous reply these big event competitions are designed to be a fun addition to the regular monthly competitions and we have to accept a % percentage of tipsters will always target the underdog or tips with huge returns. We cannot get too complex with the criteria as it then becomes a problem on the technical side.

The comments team will do our best to ensure the comment quality is acceptable for all tips and not just the wins on huge odds. If the comments are not deemed acceptable they will be deleted.

Best of luck at the World Cup.
OLBG Tipster Competition Assistant

dacris69
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby dacris69 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:29 am

So, no one put Saudi Arabia result+btts :lol: i wonder what the odds were; i watched the match, great determination and perfect offside defense from the asians but they were lucky as well, it was one of those days when nothing came right for argentina, and i think that early goal did even more harm, after that they were mostly walking on the field, they thought just being on the pitch would net them a 5-0 , 6-0 win.
ps England - Iran 6-2, @451 :shock:

dacris69
Group 2 Class
Tips

Postby dacris69 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:59 pm

Well that was an epic final :cool: